Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Introduction

When I learned that we would be writing a blog for my WRIT340 class, I immediately started to brainstorm topics. I considered just about everything including medicine, travel and real estate. I continued to brainstorm, and came to the conclusion that I should write about something that has affected me personally. While I have a great breadth of knowledge about travel and real estate, neither topic concerns me on a personal level. I continued to consider different blog topics before I finally decided to write about public transportation—a topic that I have had firsthand experience with.

I am a Chicago native and currently attend the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. I am one of the few students without a car. As a result, I have had to utilize public transportation regularly. I quickly learned that there is a reason why everyone in Los Angeles drives. During one of my travels on the Metro, I discovered that the Los Angeles area is in need of a public transportation makeover. An advanced city needs to be outfitted with advanced mass transit. Through this blog I plan to discuss the many faults, issues, solutions, and overall lack of public transportation in Los Angeles. I also plan to look to other cities, and even countries, to learn more about effective public transit. Hopefully Los Angeles officials will read my blog, and try to mend the situation accordingly.

In addition to discussing public transportation, I would like to discuss global warming. Unless you have remained ignorant to the news, you know that global warming is a new phenomenon that is slowly affecting the earth's climate. Not only is the climate changing, but storms are becoming more volatile and the earth is becoming a less desirable place to live. In order to preserve this world for our children and grandchildren, it is necessary that we take steps to mitigate global warming. The easiest step in the right direction can be taken through the use of public transit.  

If nothing more, I hope that you enjoy my blog and can also learn a little bit about public transit and global warming.

No comments:

Post a Comment