Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Land Rover: Environmentally Friendly

I personally think that the Land Rover company is on a mission to destroy the environment. These cars have average 12 mpg in the city and 18 mpg on the freeway. Just so that you can get a sense of how wasteful that is, a Toyota Corolla (what I would consider an average vehicle) gets 26 mpg in the city and 35 on the freeway. On the other end of the spectrum, a Toyota Prius hybrid gets 51 mpg in the city and 48 on the freeway. Because Land Rover vehicles get about half the gas mileage as normal vehicles, they are quickly eating up the o-zone layer and expediting climate change.
However, I was shocked to hear from blogger Patrick Nider that Land Rover is coming out with a new series of lighter, more fuel efficient SUVs. The new vehicle is called the Range Rover Evoque and runs at about $50,000. Land Rover CEO estimates that with the introduction of this new vehicle, sales will increase by 50%.

While I do acknowledge that Land Rover is taking a step in the right direction, I do not know if they are doing it for the right reasons. After reading further statements from the Land Rover CEO, it seems as though he is only introducing this model to make a profit and make others happy. He was probably thinking, "Oh if I make a weak attempt at trying to be fuel efficient, people will latch onto the idea immediately and I will make more money!" I have no way of knowing his intentions, but I do not think that they are good. Nevertheless, this is one great step in the direction of environmental sustainability.

No comments:

Post a Comment