Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Smart ATM Theft


Do you ever feel vulnerable when you are getting cash out of an ATM? I always fear that I will withdraw the $100 out of my account, and then seconds later get mugged or held at gunpoint (mind you, I live in South Central Los Angeles). A recent article I read suggests that I should not worry much about this happening.

Instead, crooks are getting smarter. They no longer need to use brute force to get your money from the ATM. They are not widely using devices called skimmers which can read the credit card information at point-of-sale machines. Your credit card information is then sent to the thief through Bluetooth or text message. The worst part is that you have no idea that you have been robbed until you get a bank statement saying your account has been cleared out. At that point, it is too late to try to prevent the damages. 

No matter how advanced our world gets, criminals will always find a way around it. Technology is an amazing thing, but it is always sad when it is manipulated to do wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment