Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tarantula Smuggling: The Next Big Crime


I was browsing the CNN news articles today when I found this one. It reveals how a German male illegally sent over 600 tarantulas to America. He has been taken into custody and faces a possible sentence of 20 years in prison alone with a fine of $250,000.

My first thought was, "Is this seriously considered breaking news?" I proceeded to wonder what our world has come to. Nevertheless, I gave the article a chance and continued to read.

Apparently, you need to have a special permit to own the tarantulas that he was sending in the mail. And because that permit was not present, he is facing all of these legal issues.

The first thing I have to say is that police need to better prioritize their time. One of my friends got mugged several weeks ago outside of my apartment. Police need to spend their time preventing and stopping crimes like that before they move on to prosecuting a guy who is sending tarantulas in the mail. Is this really a good use of their time and my tax dollars? I don't think so, but you be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment